Monday, December 15, 2008

Late Night Call

The phone rang at 11pm last night while I was up talking to my housemates. I looked at my ringing phone and debated with myself if I would pick it up or not. I knew it was a youth – I didn’t know which one but I knew it was a youth calling me – for they call me at all hours of the day and night. I hesitated to pick it up – I wondered what crisis awaited at the other end – I wondered what frantic youth was calling me this time. I hesitated to pick it up not sure if I was ready to help in another crisis because the crisis often seem endless.

Finally on the last ring – I decided to pick it up – it’s better to know than to wonder.

“Hello?”
“Hi Shanna.” She said warmly and completely calm.
“Hi, what’s up? How are you? Are you okay?” I ask trying to get to the root of the crisis as quick as possible, to find out what’s going on.

“Nothing, I’m good. I’m sorry to call you so late but I just wanted to call and tell you I’m sorry again. I feel really bad about what I did and I just wanted to say I’m sorry.” Total remorse and sincerely in her voice.

I was completely caught of guard. I was completely touched by her apology. She was referring to Tuesday night when she accidentally shut my fingers in the door (they’re fine by the way – just hurt a little). She felt so badly about it that she had already apologized about it on the way home but just wanted to call me again to tell me she was sorry. She told me she couldn’t go to sleep till she called and apologized and made sure I was okay and wasn’t mad at her.

I reassured her I was fine, reassured her that I wasn’t mad at her, and reassured her that I forgave her. I told her how much her call meant to me, how amazing I think she is and hung up the phone.

The total late night phone call lasted 2 minutes.

I hung up phone completely touched by her late night phone call. This girl has so much craziness in her life, so much constant crisis. But she called to apologize, to make sure I was okay. I was touched by her love, by her care, and by her late night call.

No comments: