Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Orphans of my Hood......

An elderly woman of the church stood up last Sunday and told the story of two Americans who were working with women in Rwanda. One day they were all sitting in a circle and going around the circle with each woman stating how many children of her own she was caring for and how many orphan she was caring for. The number of children these Rwandan women were caring for was staggering especially with such little resources. The last Rwandan woman in the circle to share turned to the two American women and poignantly asked “How many orphans are you caring for?”

How many orphans am I caring for?
How many orphans am I caring for in my hood?

How am I loving, reaching out to, caring for, having visible compassion for the children in my neighborhood who are like the orphans of Rwanda, the children who feel alone, who feel unloved, who feel abandoned, who need love, who need to be touched and cared for, who need someone to “suffer with” them?

How many children am I caring for here in South Minneapolis?

No comments: